2022 bESTology-Week 7
Week 7-Where Are My Arms?
- Path Orientation
Students will understand how sensors and planning are used to orient an autonomous robot.
Robotic engineers plan the moves to meet a robot’s purpose and function. When it comes to autonomous mode, planning includes programming sensors that provide the autonomy for the robot. After all they are machines and sensors that provide the orientation needed to perform their functions.
Research/Reflect/Brainstorm – Time to think and expand your knowledge!
Grab your BEST Journal, notebook or online doc for notes to document your learning. Use various sources such as books, magazines, and websites from below to learn more about energy, forms of energy, consequences, and possibilities.
Use various sources such as the links and videos below, textbooks, magazines etc. to answer the
- What are the different types of sensors?
- What are some of the considerations needed regarding the use of sensors with a robot?
- How do sensors support the function and purpose of automation?
Online Resources – list all links to material useful for research about the lesson topic
- Making Sense of AMR Robots
- Types of Sensors in Robotics
- Robotic Sensors
- Path Planning and Guidance Techniques
- Estimating the Position and Orientation
- Autonomous Robot Navigation and Charging
- Autonomous Systems-Video
- How To Get Your Robot from A to B-Video
- Autonomous Map Navigation-Video
- Go To Goal & Obstacle Avoidance-Video
- Control of Mobil Robots-Video
Activity – In small collaborative groups or individually share your learning with your team and school or community. Creation instructions for the different activities are accessed by the links.
BEST Connection – make connection(s) between the lesson and BEST Robotics program
- Create an entry for your Engineering Notebook sharing what you learned from your research and how it will help your team.
- Create an infographic or poster sharing information about the different sensors for your Engineering Notebook
- Create a short informational movie about the use of sensors in robotics to be used in the BEST Marketing competition
Community Connection – make connection(s) between the lesson and your community
- Create a Public Service Announcement about the sensors used in autonomous machines and uses
- Create a short documentary movie about the sensors used in robotic automation for your school community to learn about sensors and autonomy
- Conduct a short interview with a warehouse or fulfillment center about the types of sensors used in their autonomous robots in your community
- Be sure to cite the sources and resources you used for your learning and projects by creating a Bibliography page in your project with the name of the websites and URL addresses
- Be sure to include the sources and resources used in your Engineering Notebook by adding the name of the websites, books etc. and the URL address
Remember-content vocabulary: autonomic, autonomous, human interaction, order picking, zones, fulfillment, warehouse,
Understand-research to learn more about automation and autonomous
Apply-taking notes and synthesizing meaning from resources to build their knowledge
Analyze-determine the pros and cons of automation and autonomous
Evaluate-resources used for research to answer questions and develop notebook entry
Create-Engineering Notebook entry, Activity/Project completed and shared
Critical Thinking, Analyzing and Evaluating information, Creating, Writing, Research, Communication, Problem Solving, Collaboration
Automatic, autonomous, quality, controlled, human interaction, sensors strategies, methods, design,
function, orientation, mapping, navigation