2022 bESTology-Week 1
2022 bESTology Week 1
- Defining Automatic
- Defining Autonomy
- Stages of Human interaction with automatic and autonomous machines
- What are the three types of autonomous modes?
- Is there a difference between automatic and autonomous?
- How are humans involved with automatic and autonomous machines?
- How could automatic or autonomous machines affect human interactions in our communities?
- Can society adapt to a world using autonomous and automatic machines?
Students will understand what automatic and autonomous machines are and how human interaction is involved with each type of machine’s design.
The words automatic and autonomous have been used with the design of machines for a while. Often these words have been used interchangeably. Often these words are used incorrectly when describing how a machine functions. Using the resources included below, you will be able to understand how each type of machine functions and how each type rely on human interaction.
Research/Reflect/Brainstorm – Time to think and expand your knowledge!
Grab your BEST Journal, notebook or online doc for notes to document your learning. Use various sources such as books, magazines, and websites from below to learn more about energy, forms of energy, consequences, and possibilities.
Use various sources such as the internet, textbooks, magazines etc. to answer the questions below.
- Automatic VS Autonomy What’s the Difference?
- Autonomous and automatic what each means and why it matters?
- Automation and Autonomy SlideDeck
- What is Automation-Video
Activity – In small collaborative groups or individually share your learning with your team and school or community. Creation instructions for the different activities are accessed by the links.
BEST Connection – make connection(s) between the lesson and BEST Robotics program
- Create an entry for your Engineering Notebook sharing what you learned from your research and how it will help your team.
- Create an infographic or poster sharing the differences between Automation and Autonomous energy for your Engineering Notebook and to be used in your Marketing Presentation
- Create a chart showing the different types autonomous machines used in your community for your Engineering Notebook
Community Connection – make connection(s) between the lesson and your community
- Create a Public Service Announcement about automated and autonomous machines and uses
- Create a short documentary movie about renewable energy in your community
- Conduct a short interview with a company in your community
- Be sure to cite the sources and resources you used for your learning and projects by creating a Bibliography page in your project with the name of the websites and URL addresses
- Be sure to include the sources and resources used in your Engineering Notebook by adding the name of the websites, books etc. and the URL address
Remember-content vocabulary: autonomic, autonomous, human interaction, consistency, manual configuration, manipulate
Understand-research to learn more about automation and autonomous
Apply-taking notes and synthesizing meaning from resources to build their knowledge
Analyze-determine the pros and cons of automation and autonomous
Evaluate-resources used for research to answer questions and develop notebook entry
Create-Engineering Notebook entry, Activity/Project completed and shared
Critical Thinking, Analyzing and Evaluating information, Creating, Writing, Research, Communication, Problem Solving, Collaboration
Tags: bESTology 2022, Automatic, autonomous, consistency, human interaction,