bESTology Week 8-Safe at First Sight?
Week 8-Safe at First Sight?
- Construction and Demolition Site Safety
- Roles of Machinery in Safety
Students will understand construction and demolition site safety and the role machinery plays in safety.
Construction and demolition sites must follow specific safety guidelines. Building on knowledge learned in bESTology Week 7, students will learn about safety practices and the role machinery plays in safety.
Research/Reflect/Brainstorm – Time to think and expand your knowledge!
Grab your BEST Journal, notebook or online doc for notes to document your learning. Use various sources such as books, magazines, and websites from below to learn more about energy, forms of energy, consequences, and possibilities.
Use various sources such as the internet, textbooks, magazines etc. to answer the questions below.
- Who establishes safety guidelines for construction and demolition?
- Why are guidelines established?
- Who is responsible for the safety of the crew? Community? Surrounding structures?
- What procedures are followed for demolition failures?
- How does machinery minimize demolition failures?
Online Resources – list all links to material useful for research about the lesson topic
- Construction Guidelines for Industry VS General Construction
- Basic Overview of Safety Standards for Construction
- Construction Site Training
- Demolition Safety Guidelines
- Top 5 Demolition Safety Precautions
- Safety Planning for Demolition
- High Machine and Demolition Safety
- Machine Safety
- Video-Removal Demolition Safety
- Video-Demolition Safety Awareness
Activity – In small collaborative groups or individually choose one of the activities below sharing your learning with your team and school or community. Creation instructions for the different activities are accessed by the links.
BEST Connection – make connection(s) between the lesson and BEST Robotics program
- Create an entry for your Engineering Notebook sharing what you learned from your research and how it will help your team.
- Create an infographic or poster sharing the different safety guidelines for demolition and machinery used for safe demolition in your Engineering Notebook
Community Connection – make connection(s) between the lesson and your community
- Create a short documentary movie about safe demolition in your community
- Create a chart showing the different demolition projects in your community sharing the safety concerns for the projects included.
- Be sure to cite the sources and resources you used for your learning and projects by creating a Bibliography page in your project with the name of the websites and URL addresses
- Be sure to include the sources and resources used in your Engineering Notebook by adding the name of the websites, books etc. and the URL address
Remember-content vocabulary: safety, OSHA, communities, demolition, precautions, hazzards, hazardous, machinery
Understand-research to learn more about the topic of renewable and fossil fuels
Apply-taking notes and synthesizing meaning from resources to build their knowledge
Analyze-determine the pros and cons of fossil fuels and renewable energy, costs and benefits
Evaluate-resources used for research to answer questions and develop notebook entry
Create-Engineering Notebook entry, Activity/Project completed and shared
Critical Thinking, Analyzing and Evaluating information, Creating, Writing, Research, Communication, Problem Solving, Collaboration
My Personal Journal