bESTology Week 9-Construction, Destruction at a Distance
Week 9-Construction, Destruction at a Distance
- Purpose and function of robots in construction and demolition
- How robots are modernizing construction and demolition
- Pros and cons of robots in construction and demolition
Students will understand how robotics are being used for construction and demolition, types of robots and their functions and pros and cons of robotics in construction/demolition.
Robots can provide safer and new possibilities for construction and demolition. Using these tools is advancing both of these areas. Understanding the purpose and function for the different types of robotic tools will build students’ knowledge of ways robotics interact in industrial fields.
Research/Reflect/Brainstorm – Time to think and expand your knowledge!
Grab your BEST Journal, notebook or online doc for notes to document your learning. Use various sources such as books, magazines, and websites from below to learn more about energy, forms of energy, consequences, and possibilities.
Use various sources such as the internet, textbooks, magazines etc. to answer the questions below.
- Why do construction and demolition companies use robots ?
- Do robots make construction and demolition safer?
- Is the use of robotics sustainable in construction and demolition?
- How do fossil fuels and renewable energies affect the use of robots?
- How could construction or demolition robots affect human interactions in our communities?
Online Resources – list all links to material useful for research about the lesson topic
- Remote Controlled Demolition
- Teleoperated Mining and Construction Equipment
- How Can Robots Change Construction
- A Realistic View of Robots in Construction
- 5 Ways Robots are Changing the Construction Industry
- Demolition-Robotic Hammering
- Demolition Robots
- Robot Invasion: Demolition
- Video-How Demolition Robots differ from Excavators
- Video-Demolition Robots
- Video-Robot Demolition in Action
Activity – In small collaborative groups or individually share your learning with your team and school or community. Creation instructions for the different activities are accessed by the links.
BEST Connection – make connection(s) between the lesson and BEST Robotics program
- Create an entry for your Engineering Notebook sharing what you learned from your research and how it will help your team.
- Create an infographic or poster sharing the differences between fuel powered construction machines and robotic construction machines your Engineering Notebook
- Create a short informational movie about the use of robotics in demolition and construction to be used in the BEST Marketing competition
Community Connection – make connection(s) between the lesson and your community
- Create a written or digital narrative story about robotic tools in construction and renewable energy for younger students
- Create a short documentary movie about renewable energy in your community
- Create a chart showing the different types robotic construction/demolition tools used in your community
- Be sure to cite the sources and resources you used for your learning and projects by creating a Bibliography page in your project with the name of the websites and URL addresses
- Be sure to include the sources and resources used in your Engineering Notebook by adding the name of the websites, books etc. and the URL address
Remember-content vocabulary: demolition, robotics interactions, communities, demolition, change, accommodate
Understand-research to learn more about the use of robotics in the construction industry
Apply-taking notes and synthesizing meaning from resources to build their knowledge
Analyze-determine the pros and cons of fossil fuels and renewable energy, costs and benefits
Evaluate-resources used for research to answer questions and develop notebook entry
Create-Engineering Notebook entry, Activity/Project completed and shared
Critical Thinking, Analyzing and Evaluating information, Creating, Writing, Research, Communication, Problem Solving, Collaboration
My Personal Journal